Home page of Dr. Christophe Zaroli
Lecturer at the University of Strasbourg — Maître de conférences (hors classe, HDR)
Teaching @ EOST:
- Mathematics & computer science (applied to geophysics).
Research @ ITES:
- Seismology / Seismic tomography
- Development of new methods (SOLA–Backus–Gilbert tomography).
- Focus on imaging deep Earth (mantle) using body-wave, surface-wave & normal-mode data.
My research —recent years:
- I have introduced and adapted the SOLA method to solve tomographic problems* (Zaroli, 2016, 2019; Zaroli et al. 2017), and named it: SOLA tomography :-)
- The SOLA method (Subtractive Optimally Localized Averages; Pijpers & Thompson, 1992) is a variant of the groundbreaking, half-century-old, linear Backus-Gilbert inverse theory (Backus & Gilbert, 1967).
- *Problems must be linear(-izable), but can be of large scale —and the model space can be treated using either a discrete (Zaroli 2016) or a continuous (Zaroli 2019) formalism.
Some advantages of SOLA tomography:
- Models are accompanied with information on their resolution and uncertainty.
- Direct control on resolution/uncertainty.
- No a priori constraints on model parameters (but on model resolution).
- Models can be free of averaging-bias effects, and fit the data.
- Data-kernels can be fully exploited (if no model space discretization).
- Natural framework for tomographic-geodynamic comparisons.
- Development of dVp and dVs models at comparable resolution (to infer R=dVs/dVp).
- Development of dVsh and dVsv models at comparable resolution (to infer anisotropy).
- And more...!
Watch my talk on SOLA tomography (Collège de France, Paris, 2021):
- Global Seismic Tomography Using SOLA-Backus-Gilbert Inversion (24 min, YouTube)
Peer-reviewed publications related to SOLA tomography (see 'Publications'):
- Zaroli, 2016, GJI (download)
- Zaroli, Koelemeijer, Lambotte, 2017, GRL (download)
- Voronin & Zaroli, 2018, InTechOpen Book (download)
- Zaroli, 2019, GJI (download)
- Freissler (MSc student), Zaroli, Lambotte, Schuberth, 2020, GJI (download)
- Latallerie (PhD student), Zaroli, Lambotte, Maggi, 2022, GJI (download)
- Amiri (PhD student), Maggi, Tatar, Zigone & Zaroli, 2023, accepted for SEISMICA
- Restelli (PhD student), Zaroli, Koelemeijer, 2023, in (moderate) revision for PEPI
- And more coming soon... :-)
Ph.D. thesis related to SOLA tomography (M.Sc. thesis & postdocs on SOLA tomo not listed here):
- Ouattara, Y., 2019, University of Strasbourg/Abidjan
- Dubois, F., 2020, University of Strasbourg
- Latallerie, F., 2022, University of Strasbourg
- Restelli, F., 2023, University of Royal Holloway/Oxford
- Amiri, S., 2023, University of Strasbourg/Iran
- Freissler, R., work in progress, University of Munich (LMU)
- Serra, F., work in progress, University of Strasbourg
- Mag, A., work in progress, University of Oxford
- Schneider, A., work in progress, University of Munich (LMU)